- Relevant Post-Secondary education in Business, Education, Social Work or a related field, plus business-related training in marketing and communications or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Career Practitioner training preferred
- 3 to 5 years’ experience coaching and mentoring diverse client groups
- Business experience and existing contacts with inclusive employers
- Work experience in marketing, sales and promotion of programs and services
- Experience in dissemination and distribution of Labour Market Information
- Strong technical skills and conversant on digital and social media applications
- Shows respect for diversity and ability to work effectively and productively with diverse clientele
- Contributes as a team player and takes initiative
- Maintains comfort with change and learning; demonstrates a commitment to professional development
- Possesses an awareness of one’s own capabilities and understanding of when to draw upon others’ expertise
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and professional conduct
- Ability to create and maintain strong community connections
Abilities and Skills:
- Establish and maintain strong LGBTQ2S+ community and employer networks
- Conduct ongoing labour market research.
- Motivate participants to complete and follow through with job search activities.
- Assist participants in developing realistic career goals and action plans.
- Strong technology skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet applications.
- Make appropriate post-program referrals.
- Manage multiple responsibilities and work cooperatively in a team environment
- Work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Local programs as well as a thorough knowledge of local and community employment and education-related programs and services
- The career development process, barriers to employment, career counselling techniques and the Job Loss cycle
- How to access local labour market, government programs, services and networks of community resources
- Adult learning principles and facilitation of interactive group workshops.
- Client population to be served and sensitivity to their issues
- Teaching and motivational skills
- Canadian Standards and Guidelines for Career Practitioners
Reports to: QmunityWORKS Program Manager
The Job Developer works with the Facilitators and Employment Counsellors when the need for these services is identified as essential. The Job Developer assists participants to connect with appropriate employment. Through developing a professional relationship with the employer community, and other service providers who deal with employers, the JD identifies and assesses employment opportunities for participants. The JD’s main responsibilities include marketing the QmunityWORKS Program, connecting with local employers to research/generate employer-based work experience, community experience or volunteer placement activities, job shadowing and information interviews; matching participants with suitable employment opportunities; facilitating curriculum feedback sessions and other employer-based feedback; supporting clients on the job site until self-sufficient; follow-up support services.
- Employer and Community Involvement
- Establish QW as a resource for local businesses to hire LGBTQ2S+ participants through relationship-based marketing
- Conduct program information sessions and presentations to market the program to employers, service providers, educational institutions and community agencies
- Develop, maintain and update a database of employer information, including location, contact names, current number of staff, types of positions and hiring practices, and follow-up on employment leads
- Visit businesses, employer workplaces and non-profits, to establish employer needs, clarify job requirements, identify sources, prospects and job leads
- Attend trade shows and events to network with employers; join local business associations
- Monitor ongoing employer satisfaction with placements and services
- Liaise with other service providers who are in contact with employers to ensure best results in job placements
Job Acquisition, Retention and Sustainment
- Develop a hiring practices questionnaire to obtain valuable information on how local employers hire
- Proofread and provide participants with one-to-one support in resume, cover letter, and career portfolio development
- Organize a process for referring suitable participants to employers.
- Seek and generate new employer leads for participants
- Create opportunities for employment, including part-time and full-time paid employment placements, job shadowing, and informational interviews
- Arrange work placements; provide on-the-job coaching, as required
- Facilitate interviews and meetings between participants and potential employers
- Monitor placements to ensure that both participant and employer needs are being met
- Implement identified on-the-job supports and required accommodation
- Support participants in obtaining experience through job shadowing and volunteer activities
Administration and Client Support
- Liaise with QW Team to provide weekly updates on participant progress in job search and job placements
- Attend case conferencing sessions with QW Team and participant to review individual participant RTWAP goals and requirements
- Participate in developing and presenting employability workshops, when required
- Assist participants in determining employment goals and means of attaining such goals
- Work with participants to identify barriers to employment and strategies to overcome them and, where appropriate, refer to additional services for further assistance
- Assist participants to find appropriate resource material, using computers, print resources and/or online applications
- Ensure strict adherence to participant confidentiality and all other professional codes of conduct
- Facilitate career development, employment search and digital skills workshops, when staffing needs require
- Evaluate results, record weekly activity and submit monthly reports to Program Manager
- Assist in the review of lesson plans, videos and other course material to ensure appropriateness and relevance, revises as required
- Consult with the Program Manager regarding matters of concern
- Other duties as required