Youth Skills BC Entrepreneurial Pilor was a 7-week participant-driven program designed to assess and address suitability for self-employment, support business plan development and deliver small business management skills, devoting special attention to the strengths and challenges of older workers pursuing self-employment solutions. The project provided assessments and employment or self-employment assistance to eligible participants. Participants determined through self-assessment which employment solution stream was suitable for them.
- Completed interview and needs assessment as part of program intake
- Week of structured assessments and introduction to self-employment to ensure participants had a comprehensive understanding of the realities of pursuing self-employment, and their personal suitability for self-employment
- Opportunity for participants to select the most appropriate stream – either self-employment or employment assistance
- Assessment of transferable skills and abilities
- One-to-one coaching with additional supports addressing the individual needs of the participants
- Assisted participants in creation of realistic business plans/career goals
- Trained practical application of small business management or employability skills during the research and supported business plan development/supported job search components
- Utilized Solution-Focused Counselling approaches to address employment/self-employment barriers
The program was available to those in the Nanaimo, Ladysmith and Cowichan areas.